TCA is supporting a new campaign to help grassroots sporting organisations.
What is #SaveOurSports?
#SaveOurSports is a national campaign started by UK Active and the Sport and Recreation Alliance – and supported by the Association of British Climbing Walls – dedicated to ensuring access to sport after the significant negative impacts of coronavirus and lockdowns. The campaign is asking the Government to:
- Create a Sports Recovery Fund to ensure Covid doesn’t lead to a lost generation of sport and activity.
- Extend the VAT reduction that has been applied to the culture and hospitality sectors to the sport and physical activity sector.
Grassroots organisations are facing collapse
In light of a second national lockdown (in England) which will bring a full closure of grassroots sport, fitness and leisure – without emergency government support, like that given to the arts sector – community sport and physical activity faces a bleak future that will be difficult to recover from, impacting the nation’s physical and mental health and damaging Britain’s ability to Build Back Better.
That’s why we are supporting the Sports Recovery Fund petition which calls on government to instigate emergency support to ensure sports clubs, fitness and leisure facilities – the lifeblood of communities across the nation – can remain open and survive the coming difficult months.
Communities and TCA
As well as welcoming the general public in our centres, TCA works regularly with grassroots community groups to provide tasters, coaching and regular climbing. We host climbing activities for children from disadvantaged areas, adults with mental health issues and disabled climbers. The Bristol Inclusive Climbing festival has been a highlight in our calendar that we hope to take part in again. We do not want to see links with our partner organisations in such initiatives jeopardised by Covid-19.
By putting pressure on the government we can let them know how important sport is to the lives of so many. We think it’s important for every single person to have the opportunity to become fitter and healthier to help combat the pandemic and lead fulfilling lives.
How can you help?
If you agree that this is a good cause there are some easy things you can do to support the campaign:
- Write to your constituency MPs or APPG members outlining the impacts should the Sports Recovery Fund not be made available.
- Sign the petition to save grassroots sport, fitness and leisure.
- Share the petition via your social channels using #SaveOurSports.
- Share case studies. Capture and send the best case studies to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com detailing:
- The impacts on the lives of those who stand to lose the most: vulnerable participants/users, volunteers or staff members.
- The positive impacts grassroots sport and physical activity provide your local communities.N.B. please ensure you get permission from anyone named to use their name and corresponding images or send anonymously.