We are looking for a new business accountant. Are you looking to work in a community-focused, fast-moving environment with friendly staff and a good vibe?
The Climbing Academy Group currently operates 4 indoor climbing walls – 2 in Bristol and 2 in Glasgow. Since first opening 10 years ago, the business has gone from strength to strength and plans to continue its growth by expanding existing centres and opening new ones. We’re expanding one of our walls in Bristol this summer and our 5th wall is due to open late in 2020.
Until now we have been working with a freelance senior bookkeeper, a junior bookkeeper, a firm of external accountants and an external management accountant. Our senior bookkeeper is moving on so we are looking to bring more of the work in house (we will maintain a relationship with our external accountants). This role is central to this change. This position needs to get involved with the overall business and add value wherever possible – this is an excellent opportunity to put your stamp on the role and make improvements to existing processes.
This role will report to our Business Development Director, Alan, who is based in Glasgow. Our accounts team and external accountants are based in Bristol, which is where you will be based. You will need to be able to work independently with remote support. Alan visits Bristol regularly.
• Weekly posting and reconciliation of multiple bank accounts
• Weekly cash flow management
• Monthly posting and reconciliation of various income accounts – credit card, Stripe, Move GB
• Monthly sales journal posting from till sales system.
• Checking and approving weekly supplier pay runs
• Month end process: creating and posting journals, prepayments and accruals, carrying out inter-company charging, calculating depreciation, checking month entries are correct, reviewing P&L. All to produce monthly reports to deadline.
• Monthly management accounts
• Run monthly and 4-weekly payroll including managing bike and childcare schemes. Post payroll journals into finance software and reconcile all payroll accounts at month end
• Run company pension scheme (NEST)
• Process sales invoices and credit notes
• Preparation and submission of VAT returns
• Preparation and running of all payroll year end duties
• Providing reports and finance advice to staff members as required
• Provide support to Finance Assistant who is responsible for purchase ledger, supplier pay runs and credit control
• Setting budgets and assisting Managers with budget queries and reports
• Managing new suppliers and corporate customers
• Running year-end process and preparing end of year accounts
Experience is what we value most. You must have genuine experience of the finance areas described above and, if possible, you’ll be a part qualified accountant or fully qualified through AAT. You might also be qualified through experience which we see as also valid.
You’ll have experience with Quickbooks online and ideally Moneysoft payroll software.
You’ll know your way around spreadsheets – preferably google sheets.
You must be a confident communicator, flexible and self-motivated with a high level of organisation and attention to detail.
If you are studying, or wish to, we will support this.
Circa £30K plus performance related bonus and benefits including pension, free climbing at all our centres, discounts on food and climbing equipment and study support.
If you think you’ve got what it takes, please send a CV and a letter setting out your experience and why you think you’re right for the job – to Alan Cassidy: alan(at)theclimbingacademy(dot)com. Let us know where you saw the job advertised.
Applications received after 30 June are unlikely to be considered. Interviews on 22, 23 24 July.
Please share this on social channels and with anyone you know who may be interested.